St. Euphrasia Centre belongs to the Congregation of Mother of Carmel (CMC), which is a religious Congregation founded by St. Kuriakose Elias Chavara and Rev. Fr. Leopold Beccaro in 1866 at Koonammavu in the Ernakulam District. It has grown quickly according to the vision of the Founders.
St. Euphrasia was a member of this Congregation and she made her religious profession on 24th May 1900 in the new St. Mary’s Convent founded in Ollur. She used to pray long hours and her motherly heart went out to the weak, the sick and the poor. Mother Euphrasia loved God with all her heart, mind and strength. In the same way she loved people also. Her love, care and prayer reached out to everyone who was in need. She was very zealous in practising the rules of the Congregation and the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience. She died at the age of 75 after a holy life.
Mother Euphrasia who promised people that she “won’t forget even after death”, started fulfilling her promise. Showers of blessing came down on all who prayed at the tomb. Miracles started happening with her intercession and the healing of the Thyroglossal cyst of a boy, Jewel Janson has been approved by Rome. On 23rd November Pope Francis raised her to Sainthood along with our Founder Chavara. Now St. Euphrasia Centre has become a Pilgrim place and many people are coming here to pray at the tomb.
The primary objective of the Centre is to keep the place holy and maintain and develop all the places and monuments in connection with St. Euphrasia. Also making arrangements and Infra-structural facilities for the pilgrims, establish Museum, Art Gallery etc. in connection with the life of St. Euphrasia. Another important objective is to educate and empower children and women and give vocational training to them so that they can earn their livelihood. Many other proposed activities like charity works, counselling centre, scholarships etc. are being considered.
With the sainthood of Mother Euphrasia, this Centre has entered history.